What is Oligohidramnios?Oligohidramnios is a condition when amniotic fluid is at too low levels as indicated by:
- The amniotic fluid index shows fluid levels less than 5 cm at the end of the second trimester.
- At 32-36 weeks' gestation, the amount of amniotic fluid is less than 500 mL.
Some Steps for Handling OligohidramniosHandling of oligohydramnios depends on the baby's condition, gestational age, and the presence or absence of complications during pregnancy. Handling is done by:
- The fetus needs close monitoring through USG to see its activities and conditions.
- Pregnant women will be advised to consume lots of fluids.
- In certain cases, such as stunted growth of the baby in the womb or preeclampsia, oligohydramnios may need to be managed through induced labor if the gestational age is nearing delivery.
- During labor, the doctor may give amniotic fluid through a catheter that is inserted into the uterus to reduce the risk of pressure on the umbilical cord.
- Consideration for childbirth by Caesarean section.